Saturday 3 October 2015

Pinterest for your classroom: 3 Pins Worth Checking Out

I was so pleased to find this linky. There is so much amazing stuff out there, but so little time to find it. So you've got to love Pinterest!  It has the best of the best. But STILL not enough time!  So what a great idea to have bloggers pick their favourite pins of the month and post them. Thanks to The Inspired Owl's Corner and Pawsitively Teaching for hosting. Click on the picture to check out more wonderful Pinterest ideas. 




1.  I'm currently working on parts of speech with my class. Yesterday I was shocked to discover how many of my students had no idea what a noun is. It's Grade 3, People!  Last night I was cruising Pinterest, looking for nothing in particular, and came across these posters from Hannah at The Classroom Key.  I love songs both as great student motivators and super memory devices. I can hardly wait to get to school to introduce them!

I'm including two pins here because the nouns and verbs are in one post and the adjectives, adverbs, and pronouns are in a second post. 
I had trouble singing the adverb song to the tune of Skip to my Lou, but found it worked really well with Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star if I repeated the first 2 lines at the end. 
2.  Next up is a a PIN FROM KAREN at Adaptable, Flexible, Versatile on how she uses Rory's Story Cubes. I love that she provides an example of a story that she wrote using the cubes and a freebie template to use. After I read about these story cubes A couple of years ago I knew I had to have some for my classroom. I had a hard time finding them where I live and was going to order them off the internet but we went to Disneyland that summer, and was able to duck into a Barnes and Noble right in downtown L.A. and get some. 


There are several other good pins about these cubes on Pinterest. Several of them also include freebies. Like this one.  Or this one.
3.  My last pin goes to a blog I wrote about EPIC!  The best book app I've seen for kids. And it's FREE for teachers. I originally saw it on another blog, but that post didn't have much info about what Epic! is. Basically the message was:  Check out this app, you're going to LOVE it. So I did and I do!!
Go to the pin here  and follow it  to get information on EPIC!  Or just go straight to my blog post HERE.
The kids in my class were so enthused when I showed them the app.  They loved that they each had their own profile that they could customize (they have to earn new backgrounds and avatars and frames by reading books - I haven't told them that lots of the books have audio yet.....).  They were also excited that they could rate the books they read and they would be offered personalized book recommendations based on their ratings.  (I love these features, too, but the thing I like best is that EPIC! has ALL of the Scaredy Squirrel books on it!)

I hope you have a great weekend.  Happy pinning!

5 comments:

  1. That Epic app looks amazing! I love the story cube idea too! The grammar songs! I will have to add those to my grammar lessons! The kiddos will love them! Thank you for joining us and linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been singing the grammar songs all week. I can tell the kids think they're kind of cheesy, but they still love singing them!

      Delete
  2. Epic sounds really cool. I'm glad you shared that, Debbie, 'cause I missed your earlier post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to check out the Epic App! Thanks for linking up and sharing such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin